Saturday

An anti-inflammatory diet for fibromyalgia

anti-inflammatory diet for fibromyalgia

How many times have we heard of the value of omega-3? This is because it has an anti inflammatory effect on the body, meaning it reduces inflammation.  Many people believe that it is inflammation that increases as we age and causes many chronic conditions such as Fibromyalgia.

Other foods that are anti inflammatory are:
  • All fruits and vegetables except the nightshade family - egg plant, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes,  - which should be avoided in all inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and fibromyalgia
  •  A low fat diet, reducing saturated fat by eating less butter, cream, high-fat cheese and fatty meats
  • A high protein diet
  • Reducing Wheat and other grains especially refined carbohydrates such as white flour and white pasta. Many people are gluten sensitive and should not eat wheat, barley, rye or oats.
  • Reducing or eliminating sugar
  • Reducing refined and processed foods such as chips
SO WHAT CAN I EAT ON AN ANTI INFLAMMATORY DIET?
Fruit and vegetables (except nightshades)
Fish especially sardines, salmon
Free range Eggs
Nuts especially almonds, cashews and walnuts
Flaxseeds and other seeds like pepitas and sunflower seeds
Extra-virgin olive oil
Whole grains such as brown rice
All beans and legumes such as lentils and split peas
Yoghurt
Seaweeds
Soy foods such as tofu, tempeh and soy milk


PHOTO: Appetizer: salmon, yoghurt dip on wholegrain crispbread.

PHOTO: Appetizer: salmon, yoghurt dip on wholegrain crispbread.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Mediterranean diet
So what reduces inflammation?
Eat foods that aid the immune system
The oldest diet around

IF YOU LIKE THIS POST why not subscribe to get updates and giveaways and other free info relating to fibromyalgia? Just add your email here:

Email:

14 comments:

  1. It is so exciting to see you sharing this important information with your community. I just launched my book called Meals That Heal Inflammation that includes 120 recipes and an extremely detailed anti-inflammatory chart.

    Check out www.juliedaniluk.com for tons of anti-inflammatory recipes and tips:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie what a great resource. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  2. Hello! Just to let you know I have nominated you for an award called The Sisterhood of the World Bloggers! To accept and see what its all about click on the link below.
    Congratulations and keep up the great blog! :)

    http://fogandshadows.com/uncategorized/sisterhood-of-the-world-bloggers-award-blushes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle thanks so much - what an honour, I do appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. I'm stopping by from Healthline. Congratulations on being one of the 21 Best Fibromyalgia 2012 blogs.
    I've been incorporating many anti-inflammatory foods since quitting pain meds last August.
    And for me, they do help alittle. After 12 years of living in severe chronic pain from numerous nerve pain conditions, a little bit less is music to my ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in a major fibro fog and missed this wonderful message. Wonderful because you have given up pain meds, amazing Berry! and amazing as I received an award and did not know it.

      Delete
  4. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? As you will see if you visit my site I am very interested in diet and health. You might be interested in the anti inflammatory foods in my article Different Kinds of Foods That Give You Energy. Best Wishes,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin, thank you for letting us know about your site and your article. I will love to visit and have a read.

      Delete
  5. Kristy Alfons10:33 PM

    They are like panacea while yоu are in an inflammatory state which is overwhelming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy, thanks for that. it's good that someone else feels the same and that diet can really have a beneficial effect on our inflammation.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing the post. It was really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. despite what people might tell you, you will also enjoy incredible high energy and overall sense of well being keto diet

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wondering why an anti-inflammatory diet would be effective for Fibro, since Fibro isn't an inflammatory condition. Is it because the diet prevents other inflammatory agents from forming in the body, thus making the whole body healthier?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pamela, great question and I'm not sure that I have all the answers but with fibromyalgia I look to everything that might possibly help me. If changing my diet means less pain and more energy then that is a great benefit.

    Although there’s no diet that’s proven to help fibromyalgia, I find that eating or avoiding certain foods has a major impact on my symptoms.

    Thank you for making me a better blogger and I will include someting in the article about this. Best wishes, Lee.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input